Mon Amie Bridal Salon is a wedding dress boutique in Costa Mesa, California. This premier bridal boutique has been...Read more providing unparalleled service for to-be-weds and wedding parties for over 40 years. Their spacious boutique offers a comprehensive range of designer gowns and bridal accessories. There...
The Something Blue Shoppe is a prestigious wedding dress and bridal salon located in historic Hartselle, Alabama. As...Read more Alabama’s oldest full-service bridal salon, they are proud to be serving a third generation of newlyweds-to-be after over 50 years. With hundreds of gowns to choose from, The...
Park Avenue Bridals is a wedding dress boutique located in Cedar Grove, NJ. The family-owned company is run by a...Read more professional team of consultants who enjoy helping nearly-weds find the gown they've always dreamed of. Their goal throughout the process is to curate an experience where the client feels...
Bridal Collections is a premier wedding dress shop based in Spokane, Washington. Since 1981, Bridal Collections has been...Read more making clients' dreams come true by providing a beautiful collection of gowns from the finest designers in wedding fashion. From size two to 32, Bridal Collections will have the...
Jennifer's is a wedding gown boutique located in Hockessin, Delaware. Founder Jennifer Kienzle has been helping brides...Read more find their dream dress for over 25 years. She and her team go above and beyond to make sure each of her clients has attentive, personalized service throughout their...
Margaret’s Cleaners is a bridal gown preparation and preservation company located in San Diego, Calif. This team of...Read more in-house cleaners has years of experience when it comes to attending wedding dresses and other special gowns. The team at Margaret’s Cleaners works closely with their clients for a...
J & B Bridals and Tuxedos is a bridal and formalwear boutique located in the heart of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. For...Read more over four decades, this team of professionally trained stylists has had the honor of working with newlyweds-to-be and finding their dream apparel. Whether you’re looking for a...
Four Seasons Cleaners is a wedding gown service based in Ventura, California that will help keep your garment safe and...Read more in good condition for future generations. As a member of the Association of Wedding Gowns Specialists, they are trained to use effective methods to alter your dress before the big...
The Sample Rack is a wedding gown shop located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that caters to couples of all budgets. For...Read more over 10 years, The Sample Rack has provided unmatched customer service, a personal experience, and affordable wedding gowns to engaged couples. From discounted designer dresses to...
Lilla’s Bridal Boutique is a professional bridal salon in York, Pennsylvania, that provides customers with exceptional...Read more service, expertise, and warm hospitality. Lilla’s Bridal was established in 1985 and has been helping clients find the perfect gowns for over three decades. With service as their...
Based out of Puyallup, Washington, Something Blue Bridal Boutique is a wedding dress service. This passionate team...Read more strives to provide exceptional service and high-quality gowns for their clients on their special day. From bold and robust silhouettes to simple, clean-lined dresses, the Something Blue...
Esquire Tuxedos is a specialty formalwear store located in Merrick, New York. This family-owned and operated business...Read more has been serving clients for over 30 years. They are committed to providing high-quality luxurious tuxedos and suits for your special day. The team at Esquire is there to help and...
Janet Davis Cleaners - Wedding Dress Cleaning & Preservation is professional company in Berkley, Michigan. Family owned...Read more and operated since 1938, Janet Davis Cleaners - Wedding Dress Cleaning & Preservation was started by Janet Davis and her father and nowadays the fourth and fifth generations...
Classic Cleaners - gown care is a dry cleaning service located in Indianapolis, Indiana. They would love to use their...Read more exemplary skills to restore your gowns and garments to their original state. Allow this dry cleaning service to take care your delicate items with their eco-friendly methods. Even...
125 Bridal Boutique is a full-service bridal salon located in Plaistow, New Hampshire. Let their knowledgeable...Read more consultants help you begin the journey to find your dream dress. Experience Offering you a one-stop shop for any occasion, 125 Bridal Boutique brings years of experience serving clients in...
Dependable Cleaners is a wedding gown cleaning and preservation service located in Boston, Massachusetts. As a member of...Read more the Association of Wedding Gown Specialists, the family-owned company has decades of experience ensuring that wedding dresses look flawless before, during, and after wedding...
Gold Label Cleaners & Restoration Labs is a garment care and wedding gown specialist located in Greenwood Village,...Read more Colorado. Owner Sunny Jung, has dedicated over 27 years to performing individualized expert care for wedding gowns, family heirlooms, and museum textiles. She has preserved, restored,...
Based in Scottsdale, Arizona, Kilt Rental USA provides authentic Scottish kilts for weddings and other special events....Read more The company creates traditional and contemporary kilts from throughout the Celtic diaspora, including from Ireland, Wales, Canada, and the United States. Providing both custom and...
Angelical Alterations By Geneva provides wedding alterations and is based out of Denison, Texas. Professional seamstress...Read more Geneva has garnered over 20 years of experience in the wedding gown and garments industry. She provides customized alteration services so that couples can look forward to...
Ivory & White is a high-end wedding boutique located in Birmingham, Alabama. This elegant outlet carries the latest...Read more styles from up and coming designers, as well as classic fits from iconic fashion houses. The staff believes that finding a dress should be an experience worth cherishing. They are...
Dark Garden are wedding dress and corset-making specialists, with locations in both San Francisco and New Orleans. They...Read more provide couples of all genders with gorgeous corsets using high-quality fabrics. Each comfortable, one-of-a-kind item is carefully crafted at their San Francisco production studio...
Iris City Cleaners and Laundering Company is a unique cleaning service located in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. When it comes to...Read more incomparable dry cleaning or quailty custom cleaning, Iris City Cleaners and Laundering Company takes the cake. Servicing the area since 1947, Iris City Cleaners can make your...
An Affair of the Heart is a bridal attire boutique in Colorado Springs, Colorado. This speciality shop offers beautiful...Read more dresses, veils, and other wedding accessories that are affordable to all brides. An Affair of the Heart offers in-style, discontinued designer gowns to help you reduce your budget...
Based in Austin, Texas, Alterations & Veils By Beatrice specializes in altering and preserving wedding dresses. Owner...Read more Beatrice has been amending garments for soon-to-be newlyweds in Austin for decades. Lending a personal touch to every dress she alters, Beatrice aims to make the perfect adjustments...
How much does a wedding dress cost?
Buying a wedding dress is unlike purchasing a piece of everyday attire. You’re going to be wearing this dress on one of the most important days of your life, and so you’ll likely spend quite a bit of money on your wedding dress. While wedding dress prices do vary greatly, the average wedding dress cost in the U.S. is $1,000. It typically ranges from $280 to $1,650, but you can purchase a wedding dress for far above and below those prices.
- $ 100 or less Lower range
- $ 1,000 Average cost
- $ 280 - $ 1,650 Most couples spend between
- $ 2,600 or more Upper range
What impacts wedding dress prices?
What additional wedding dress costs should a bride plan for?
- Alterations: If you want to drastically change your wedding dress, your alterations may end up costing more than your actual wedding dress!
- Undergarments and accessories: Be sure to factor in your accessories— bridal undergarments, shoes, and more. These accessories will greatly affect how your gown looks and fits, so don’t forget to include them in your wedding dress cost.
- Cleaning and preservation: Don’t be surprised if you’re still spending money on your wedding dress after your wedding! Whether you plan on wearing your wedding dress again, passing it on to a future generation, or none of the above, it’s still a good idea to have your gown professionally cleaned and preserved. Wedding dress cleaning and preservation can cost $200 or more.
How can you save money on a wedding dress?
- Don’t try on dresses that are over-budget: Be upfront with your bridal salon consultant about your budgets—and be sure ask about the cost of each dress you try on. Avoid the temptation of trying on a wedding dress that’s out of your price range.
- Find a simple wedding dress, and accessorize: As mentioned, a simple and relatively unadorned wedding gown will cost less than an extremely detailed wedding dress. If you’re on a tight wedding dress budget, we recommend finding a simple gown and using a beaded sash or a brooch to give it some extra sparkle.
- Find a dress you love as is: Any significant alterations or customizations that you do to a wedding dress will cost (a lot of!) money. Therefore, if you want to make significant changes to a wedding dress (add sleeves, change the silhouette, etc.), that gown is probably not for you. Look for a wedding dress that you love mostly as it looks off the hanger.
- Scour sample sales: Many bridal salons offer sample sales where they sell sample dresses from past seasons. These sample dresses are typically in sizes 6 to 12, so if you fall in that size category, you may find a gorgeous gown at a low price at one of these sales.
- Visit trunk shows: If you’re set on purchasing a gown by a specific designer, you might find a deal at a trunk show. Trunk shows are when a bridal salon features the collection of a particular dress designer—and usually offers a discount (usually about 5 or 10 percent off that designer’s wedding dress prices). Research which salons in your area carry your favorite designers, and check their websites for upcoming trunk shows.
- Give yourself time to shop: A wedding dress can take several months to arrive after you’ve ordered it. Be sure to start shopping for your wedding dress as soon as possible —many brides shop at least nine months in advance, if not more. If you wait until the last minute, you may end up paying rush charges for your dress, which can greatly add to your total wedding dress cost.
How much does it cost to alter a wedding dress?
What questions should you ask a wedding dress tailor?
- How many fitting appointments will I need? How long will the process take?
- What types of alterations do you recommend for my wedding dress?
- Have you worked with a dress and fabric like mine before?
- Can you provide a cost for my alterations?
- How will you store my wedding dress?
- What do I need to bring to my first fitting appointment?
Wedding Dresses and Gowns
As you plan your wedding, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is your wedding dress. The dress you choose should reflect your unique style and personality and make you feel like the most beautiful woman in the room. How does a bride say “yes” to that perfect dress? Here’s a quick guide to shopping for wedding dresses.
Set Your Budget
When you start browsing bridal gowns, it’s easy to fall in love no matter the price tag. Before you even pick up a bridal magazine, set a strict wedding dress budget. We suggest allocating around 10 percent of your overall wedding budget to your dress – and don’t forget to include the cost of your wedding accessories in that line item!
Narrow Down Your Style
About a year out from your wedding, start browsing bridal dresses and get a feel for how they match up with your style. Now is the time to educate yourself on silhouettes, necklines, fabrics and more. Our wedding dress style guide can help.
Once you’ve set your wedding date and chosen a venue, add these factors into your dress calculation. Are you marrying in the winter at a beautiful church? Then you might choose a dress with heavier fabric – like satin – in a more traditional silhouette like a ball gown or A-Line.
Book Wedding Dress Salons
About 10 to eight months before your wedding, it’s time to get boots (or heels) on the ground to start your wedding dress hunt. Consider wedding dress salons in your area and book appointments with your top choices – most salons do not allow walk-ins. Take a look at our complete wedding dress shopping guide to learn all the tips and tricks to finding the wedding dress of your dreams.
Trying on Bridal Dresses
As your salon appointments approach, assemble your fashion squad to give you feedback and moral support. Keep your posse small, as too many opinions can get overwhelming. When you arrive at the salon, your stylist will discuss your dress preferences and budget and help you choose options. Keep an open mind; your stylist knows what looks good on different body types. If your stylist suggests a dress, even if it’s not a silhouette you are considering, give it a try. You might be surprised.
Choosing Your Bridal Gown
When your heart leaps and you can’t stop grinning at the reflection in the mirror, you’ve found the right wedding dress. The salon will likely ask for a down payment and then order your dress. Over the next months, your dress will be created just for you. It should arrive a few months before your wedding so you have time for fittings and alterations at your salon. (See our full wedding dress shopping timeline.) You may feel like you’re waiting forever, but this is the perfect time to pick your wedding accessories and knock off other items on your wedding to-do list.
Ready to start shopping for wedding dresses? WeddingWire is here to help. Put in your location and search for the top salons in your area. Read reviews and start making appointments. Happy dress hunting!